Tuesday, June 19, 2012

On a Serious Note

I try to keep this blog free of political leanings, barring the desire for people to let women decide what to do with their bodies -- in every sense. But in the latest thing to catch my interest, Obama's Health Care Reform, one politician's words struck me as funny.

"Europeanizing Health Care."

This was said as though it were a bad thing. I admit we're far from being like Europe in terms of our Health Care, but I'm fine with that. Why? Because according to the World Health Organization's Ranking of Health Systems, the top five were all European Countries. Fifteen out of the top twenty countries were in Europe. Where did the United States come in? #37.

Why? Personally, I think it was because they have a different sort of health care system. There is a chance for proper health care in the top fifteen, while in the states, if you aren't making below a certain amount, which is well below the poverty line ($208 monthly/$2496 yearly in Georgia, though amounts vary from state to state), you can't dream of qualifying for medicaid (the closest to health care coverage for those who can't access by any other means). Even women with children have to make below a certain amount, though that isn't much more than what a single person is allowed to earn.

But I'm running out of time currently. Work calls, and I still need to get ready. This was just something I felt the need to comment on. 

No comments: